Monday, February 20, 2012

Staff Development Day

Today I presented ESL information to our staff for our campus wide staff development day. I shared with the staff the resources available on campus. I also showed a great video from the website Doing What Works titled Teaching Vocabulary to English Learners.
The video can be located at the following address:
http://dww.ed.gov/Literacy-in-English-K-5/Teach-Vocabulary/practice/?T_ID=13&P_ID=22

I also shared with the staff a Jog the Web I created that included great interactive games to strengthen our students academic knowledge through technology.
http://www.jogtheweb.com/user/San%20Jac%20Suns

The staff seemed to enjoy the information and resources that were given to them. I think the video also helped remind them of how limited our students' vocabulary can be and to not assume all students understand such basic word like "pencil" or "tree". I also wanted the teachers to realize that they are already using most of the teaching strategies everyday through the district's Tier I best practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment