Monday, January 23, 2012

What I have learned about action research.

I have learned that action research plays an intricate role in a schools success and climate. As a school leader, it is imperative to ask questions and motivate teachers to inquire about their students and their instruction. It is also important to provide the staff with opportunities to take an active role in action research. Action research provides a way for stakeholders to plan and organize their inquiry, reflect on their findings and grow professionally in the process. I was pleased to find that my campus already employs action research as a regular practice. I am also lucky enough to participate in almost all discussions and reflections as the Title I teacher. I find it enlightening and I enjoy listening to the ideas and feedback that is shared within the PLC. It can be frustrating at times when we feel like we have tried all avenues but are not reaching the success we had hoped for but it allows to the opportunity to work together. It also allows me the opportunity to identify strengths and talents in teachers that I may not have already known. I definitely feel action research is a must for all campus leaders to administer within their school.


References

Dana, Nancy F. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge:The Principal as Action Researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.


Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. (2009). ExaminingWhat We Do to Improve Our Schools: 9 Steps from Analysis to Action. Larchmont, N.Y.: Eye on Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment